Friday 3 August 2012

Eat Bulaga: Giving hope and inspiration to Filipino families


It’s been a while and I haven’t written anything. There’s just so many reasons to and to not to. I don’t have much inspiration, I don’t take pictures of events that I go to and I don’t have much time to spare. And whenever I’m free or I have something in mind, I’m not in front of the computer or in a place with internet connection.

          I have to write though. And what better inspiration than the longest running noontime show in Philippine TV. I gotta admit, however upset or sad or mad I am, Eat Bulaga never failed to cheer me up.

          I remember as a child, whenever I ask mom about the time I was born, she would always answer: “Pinanganak ka mga bandang alas dose, Eat Bulaga pinapanuod namin nun”, well that was almost 31 years ago. August 28, 1981, in the humble home of my Aunt in a small barrio of Sabang in Dasmariñas, Cavite.

          I grew up watching EB in our then black and white TV. The song goes like “Sina Tito, Vic and Joey, kasama pa si Connie”.



classic EB cast photo including the very pretty Miss Cristine Jacobs and Lady Lee


I only have a vague memory of the late president Marcos but as I have observed, the TV program is the only good thing that has survived since his regime. Everyone was aware that the Philippine economy has since then plunged and plummeted into an abyss of dismay, but the noontime show proved to be strong and stable all through the years.


And just like wine, it grows even better as it ages. As a proof, SCTV Indonesia even bought a franchise of the show. How cool was that? For the longest time, Philippine TV has been paying tons of money to get franchises of international TV shows to be adapted onto our own. This is HISTORY, my dear countrymen.

Photo from GMA news FB page

 Anyway, the show can only get better, up until now it has been a lunchtime staple at our home. My daughter who is in first grade knows the dabarkads names by heart and is always looking forward to the Mr. Pogi segment. She thought it is some kind of a stand up comedy ;)



My husband on the other hand, well, enjoys the good looks of Solenn and the EB Babes.


I, being the nerd in my family, like Pinoy Henyo a lot. It has been something to look forward to. It is played in almost all the parties we Filipinos have, family and class reunions, office and school Christmas parties, drinking sessions, name it!

it's my one of my fave foods, it's a shame I didn't get it

my girl, Siouxsie

me, as game master of our high school reunion


From kids to grown-ups, everyone’s trying to guess something silly or something naughty. And it never failed to bring some good laugh! Thanks to our Henyo dabarkads who popularized this game.

Another one of my favourite segments and one of the main reasons I chose to write about EB, is Juan for All, All for Juan.

Juanito Camacho, winner of the Amaia townhouse, a very funny guy.

There’s nothing that can match the concept, the fun and the warmth of this segment. In every family they visit, you can feel love hope and happiness. Here are some things that I especially like about the segment:

Arm chairs from the collected plastic bottles.


They care for our environment. Plastic ni Juan, for instance, EB is such a big shot that if they want to donate arm chairs to schools they can just shelf out a lot of money, buy a bunch of chairs and distribute. But hey, they find a way wherein Filipinos will have awareness about environment protection and garbage disposal. That is indeed a great idea.



They help families start over a new life. They don’t just give away some goods they teach them to enrich their lives. As one proverb say, “Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead”. Of course they give away awesome prizes amounting to more or less than a hundred thousand in cash and goods per lucky family, but what’s more is that they teach them how to improve their lives by giving advice about starting a small business and giving them a savings account. And they have this special way of rewarding those who had made profit of what they initially had, what a good way to motivate diligence and perseverance.


  They are hilarious. The comic trio of Jose, Wally and Paolo is the new face of the masses. They bring, together with their surprises, laughter and joy to the families they visit and those watching TV at home as well. They don’t make fun of the poor families but instead they make life a little easier for them by incorporating a kind of humor that everyone can relate to. Well some TV shows already tried that approach but ended up degrading the poor. Theirs is neither harsh nor offensive. It’s just pure fun, really.


I hope that Eat Bulaga will continue to bring happiness to Filipino families for a few decades more. Thirty three years and I believe they still  have a long way to go.

Mabuhay kayo Dabarkads! Tsup tsup mwah mwah!!!!


Tito Sen, Bossing Vic and Henyo Master Joey


Bitoy, Anjo, Belle, Pauline, Julia, Ciara, Ryan and Keempee

Jimmy and Ruby


More pictures and promos at the Official Facebook fan page of Eat Bulaga.

1 comment: