Monday 23 April 2012

The birth of Punk

Though the nickname Punk originated from one of my friends in Duty Free, I can say that Punk was actually born in DasmariƱas, Cavite sometime in the early nineties.

As I remember, I was 5th or 6th grade. That time, Sabang can be considered a very simple countryside barrio. We have electricity, of course, but we don't have telephone lines yet.

And we don't have cable TV! So Dad, who was working as an architect in the Middle East, bought a satellite disk.

It was the coolest thing that I have ever seen!

My brothers and I were the first ones among our circle of friends to watch channels from other countries!
 We have MTV!!!!

How cool was that?!!

 And we also have [V]


We especially liked MTV's top 20 that time. Back then, music is so much cooler.

Music makes sense.

That was the start of my appreciation of rock music. I remember how I patiently wait for Meatloaf's I Would do Anything for Love.

As a child, I didn't find the video scary. I find its gloomy nature enticing and awesome. I watch every detail of it. While other singers just make themselves pretty in front of the camera, this for me was a breakthrough.

 MTV got me.

I know most people won't agree with me with my high regards to Meatloaf. He was just another face. I don't even remember meeting any fans of him. I'm not a fan either. It's just that his music video opened up and widened my views about music and television viewing.

The world is not as sissy as I thought.

Then came Aerosmith's sizzling hot 'Amazing' video. It was really cool! The concept is great, the guy is sooo hot! and Alicia Silverstone is such a goddess!
That was when I asked dad to buy me a cassette tape. My very first one: Get a Grip.


Then Kurt Cobain died, then came a new set of influences: Seattle grunge  bands!
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Candlebox and later Bush (fronted by uber hot Gavin Rossdale).

And as wikipedia puts it:Grunge  is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged as a fusion of punk, alternative, and heavy metal during the mid-1980s in the American state of Washington, particularly in the Seattle area. Inspired by hardcore punk, metal, and indie rock, grunge is generally characterized by heavily distorted electric guitars, contrasting song dynamics, and apathetic or angst-filled lyrics. The grunge aesthetic is stripped-down compared to other forms of rock music, and many grunge musicians were noted for their unkempt appearances and rejection of theatrics.

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge

The last sentence may be the reason why up until now, I'm so stuck with grunge and 90's alternative music. It never dies.



Attitude never dies.

It's not about beauty or skills or how much an effin' guitar cost, it's about expression and freedom. 

And this is how Punk was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment