Tuesday 3 April 2012

A Little Reflection for Holy Week

I'm supposed to write something about alcohol and drinking for this week's blog post. However, with regards and respect to Catholic traditions in the Philippines I skipped the topic and will not publish such until after lent.




As always, I don't want to sound preachy, I don't want to be too anarchist either. Let's just say that I'm in stand-bye mode (bait baitan), plain and simple: no okrays, no patola, no lady gaga make-up, no bitterness whatsoever.



What I'm trying to say is that, it is not about the food we eat but on how we live our lives. How can we consider eating seafood a sacrifice when they are more expensive than meat?





God does not want us to hurt ourselves but He will be more than happy if He can see us helping each other. That, for me is better than hurting oneself in the streets by lashing. 

Both images below are amazing, the efforts and devotion of these men doing penitensya is really astonishing. Whatever drives them into this kind of religious vow is something huge.

However, if we will take a look into the second picture and see what the old man did. It was relatively simple and easy. But what matters is how this simple act helped the homeless girl. And how, this picture touched others to do good as it circulated in the internet.





Okay, the whipping and self infliction of pain can be a moving act. You may inspire others to repent. But in most cases, it doesn't. Others may be amazed, shocked or even entertained, but believe me, it will not do any good to others.

I am not saying that they are doing something wrong, I'm not in the position to judge their beliefs. This is how religion brought most of us up. Though most devotees do it with good intentions, others still take advantage and exploit such traditions.


I wish everyone a blessed week, and, though old religious folks forbid us to enjoy, I still hope that everyone will find great time with our families.

*this is my point of view, at any point that you disagree or felt that I have offended one way or another, do let me know. I might learn a thing or two from your comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment