Friday 4 May 2012

May The 4th

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
as the crawl goes.

This is actually a speedy blog post as I only have a few hours left before this day ends.
Yeah, I learned from facebook and twitter that today is "Star Wars Day".

And it took me a while... (actually a few hours) to finally get the reason for such a day.

"May the Fourth" (May 4) sounds like "May the Force..."


This is really brilliant! having a Star Wars Day, based on a famous quote rather than actual dates that inspired the making of Star Wars. Or even the day when Star Wars was first released on movie theaters. Which was May 25, 1977.

A brilliant idea but surely not very surprising as there are a lot of Star Wars geeks out there who never fails to have awesome stuff just so the Star Wars culture can grow.

Yeah, culture, I believe, though I'm not a big fan, that Star Wars fondness can be somehow considered a culture. A way of life for some people.

I have always been impressed how fans actually spend a fortune in buying collectibles from movie posters, action figures, DVDs, costumes, gadgets and what have you's.

I have watched most of the 6 Star War movies. And because I have watched a lot of movies of different genres, honestly, there's nothing really special about them. There may even be loop holes especially those from episodes 4-6.

But the thing is... George Lucas was an effin' genius!
Nobody could ever come up with such an idea during those times. It was the seventies for Christ's sake! You have to be a freakin' genius to think such things as the Death Star or The Galactic Empire and all of the other characters and details fans worldwide memorize and know by heart, like a true Jedi. 

Those who knows me and my family might be able to guess why I have watched Star Wars even though at first I'm not interested. Of course it is because of my two lovely boys:


Yeah, Siouxsie isn't really a boy, but she's one of the boys. As a child, Ricky grew up sheltered and well-provided. He once owned a few Star Wars toys, but wasn't able to keep all of them. Some were handed down to a nephew others were just misplaced while playing with other kids. It makes him kinda sad that he wasn't able to pass them to Siouxsie. If only he knew that those toys would turn out to be treasures now, he could have cared for them more.

So to share the culture and knowledge, Ricky provided Siouxsie with a DVD set of the Star Wars Saga.

And of course, being a tomboy (LOL), Siouxsie now wants a set of Lego Star Wars to add to her collection. Here's one set that she saw on google that she's dying to have:


And since I already explained earlier that this is a rush post, I wasn't able to take a picture on how Siouxsie improvise just so she can have a Darth Vader costume.

Here are some of the things she used: the cape of her worn-out Batman costume, a pair of blue (though she insist of buying a black one) rain boots, the helmet which my brother lend me and a plastic lightsaber toy.


So, for now, all I can say is:

May the Fourth be with you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment